Frequently Asked Questions

  • What information and forms do I need to apply for a patient Medical Marijuana ID Card?

    When submitting your application, you will need:
    The application form.
    A completed Physician Written Certification
    A photo of your Arkansas driver’s license or state ID. The name and address you apply with must match your Arkansas ID.
    The nonrefundable $50 application fee.

  • What are the qualifying conditions?

    Positive status for human immunodeficiency virus/ acquired immune deficiency syndrome
    Hepatitis C
    Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
    Tourette’s syndrome
    Crohn’s disease
    Ulcerative colitis
    Post-traumatic stress disorder
    Severe arthritis
    Alzheimer’s disease
    Cachexia or wasting syndrome
    Peripheral neuropathy
    Intractable pain which is pain that has not responded to ordinary medications, treatment or surgical measures for more than six (6) months
    Severe nausea
    Seizures including without limitation those characteristic of epilepsy
    Severe and persistent muscle spasms including without limitation those characteristic of multiple sclerosis and any other medical condition or its treatment approved by the Department of Health

  • Can other medical conditions be added to the list?

    Patients suffering from medical conditions may petition the department for consideration of an illness. After a hearing, the department shall approve or deny a petition within 120 days of submission of the petition.

  • How long is my ID card valid?

    Your registry identification card from the Arkansas Department of Health will be valid for one year from the issue date OR the amount of time designated by the physician.

  • Is my confidentiality protected when I apply and if I am approved for MMJ?

    Yes. Your information and records kept by the Arkansas Department Health Medical Marijuana Section are subject to all applicable federal privacy laws, are confidential, are exempt from the Freedom of Information Act and are not subject to disclosure to any individual or public or private entity, except as necessary for authorized employees of the department to perform official duties for the medical marijuana program. Law enforcement will have the ability to confirm only the validity of an ID card.

  • Can I use medical cannabis anywhere in Arkansas?

    No. Using medical cannabis is prohibited in a school bus, on the grounds of any school grounds, in any correctional facility, in any vehicle, in a private residence used at any time to provide licensed child care or other similar social service care on the premises, and in any public place where an individual could reasonably be expected to be observed by others. Using medical marijuana is also prohibited in a healthcare facility or any other place where smoking is prohibited by the Clean Indoor Air Act of 2006 and knowingly in close physical proximity to anyone under the age of 18.

  • How long will it take to process my application?

    Processing time is 10 to 14 days.

  • Will I be given a temporary card while my application is being processed?

    The ADH does not issue temporary medical marijuana cards.

  • What does “ADH Pending” mean?

    It means your application is currently waiting to be reviewed and no further action is necessary.

  • If my registry identification card is lost, stolen or damaged what do I do and is there a fee to replace the card?

    If the application was submitted online, you may print your own card or reprint your own card using your AMMsys account. Each reprint voids the prior card validity.

    Or if applied by mail, please complete the CHANGE OF ADDRESS/LOST CARD form. Submit the form to us and a replacement card will be issued. There may be a delay in receiving a replacement card as they are processed after new applicants.

  • I received my registry ID card, but my name is misspelled (or has other incorrect information). What do I do?

    If the application was completed online, you may complete the change form and submit. If you completed a paper application, complete the change form and mail to the office. A corrected replacement card will be sent as soon as possible. Once a replacement card is issued, the prior card is no longer valid.

  • If my registry ID expired and I didn’t submit my renewal application before the deadline, am I still eligible to purchase medical marijuana?

    No. When your card expires, the legal protection offered by the Arkansas Medical Marijuana Act is expired. You may still submit your renewal application.

  • Will my card be emailed/mailed to me automatically?

    A physical card will be mailed automatically to you once your application has been approved. Cards will not be sent over email. If you applied online, you can log on to the Arkansas Medical Marijuana System and print a copy of your card.

  • Which medical physicians can certify me for medical marijuana?

    The medical provider must be a doctor of medicine or osteopathy licensed in the state of Arkansas, have a controlled substances license on file with the DEA, be in good standing to practice medicine in Arkansas, and have a bona fide physician-patient relationship with the patient they are certifying for medical cannabis.

  • When does the physician certification expire?

    The physician certification is valid for 30 days. If a patient gets a certification and fails to submit it to the ADH within 30 days, they must get a new certification.

  • Do I have to buy my marijuana from one of the dispensaries?

    Yes. To be protected under the Arkansas Medical Marijuana Act, your marijuana must be labeled from an Arkansas dispensary.

  • Can I grow my own medical marijuana?

    No. Qualifying registered patients and their designated caregivers cannot grow or cultivate medical cannabis. Marijuana-infused products must be purchased through the Arkansas medical marijuana dispensaries.

  • How much medical marijuana may I possess as a qualified registered patient?

    Qualified registered patients are allowed to purchase up to 2.5 ounces from a dispensary every 14 days.

  • What is a designated caregiver?

    A designated caregiver is a person who is selected by a qualifying patient as the person authorized, on the qualifying patient’s behalf, to possess, obtain, dispense and assist in the administration of medical marijuana. Caregivers must apply for a registry card. A designated caregiver is issued a medical marijuana registry identification card that allows him/her to possess up to 2.5 ounces of medical marijuana on behalf of their patient. It is not legal for caregivers to consume, by any means, medical cannabis that has been dispensed on behalf of a registered qualifying patient.

  • How do I apply to be a designated caregiver?

    Complete the designated caregiver application here.

  • Do I need a caregiver card to purchase MMJ for my child?

    Yes. Qualified patients under 18 years of age cannot purchase medical marijuana from a dispensary. The legal guardian or parent is required to register as a caregiver to buy medical marijuana for a minor.

  • Can a caregiver have more than one patient?

    Yes. A caregiver may serve more than one patient. A caregiver must apply for a registry card for each patient and pay $50 for each registry card.

  • Can a caregiver also be a registered qualifying patient?

    Yes. A caregiver may be a registered qualifying patient.

  • Are registry identification cards from other state medical marijuana programs valid in Arkansas?

    A visiting qualifying patient may obtain marijuana from a dispensary with approval as a visiting patient. Complete the visiting patient application here. A visiting patient application is $50.00 (nonrefundable). If approved, a visiting patient may purchase medical marijuana in Arkansas for a 30-day period, per application.

  • May I obtain a qualified patient or designated caregiver registry ID card if I am a member of the Arkansas National Guard or U.S. military?

    Legislation passed in 2017 prohibits members of the Arkansas National Guard and U.S. military from obtaining a qualified patient or designated caregiver registry ID card.