There is nothing more enjoyable than taking a tasty, juicy dab out of your dab rig — until it comes time to clean it, that is. Cleaning your dab rig can be a bit of a pain, especially with how delicate the various pieces are. Thankfully, there are proper ways to clean your glass that won’t leave you frustrated or end in shattered pieces.
If you’re wondering how to clean a dab rig properly, Elevate Holistics is here to explain.
But, Do I Have to Clean My Dab Rig?
Yes. Cleaning your dab rig is essential to having a quality, tasty cannabis experience. If you don’t ever clean your dab rig, the pieces will start to get coated in wax residue, causing build-ups, clogging openings, and impacting the flavor of the dab you’re trying to take. Plus, your piece isn’t going to be looking pretty.
We understand that, when looking at a dab rig, it may be tough to figure out how to clean such a delicate yet complicated piece of glass. But, we promise, cleaning it may be easier than you think! You just have to take the time to do it every once in a while; and, the more frequently you do it, the less icky it will be each time.
Cleaning a Traditional Glass Dab Rig
Many smokers out there have a beloved glass dab rig that’s perfect for heating huge globs of wax. However, that also means that your dab rig may not be looking as new as it once did. Over time, you’ll notice that your rig starts to build up excess oil around the inside of the glass, making the rig look dirty and your dabs a bit less tasty.
This means it’s cleaning time.
If you’re someone with a traditional glass dab rig — whether it has percs or other attachments — let’s talk about how to get the concentrate residue out of your shiny pieces.
Before starting to clean your rig, you’re going to need the following materials:
- Isopropyl alcohol (91% is best — anything weaker will dissolve the salt)
- Rock salt or coarse sea salt
- Resealable baggies like Ziplocks
- Torch or torch lighter
- Carb cap or wine cork
Instructions on How to Clean Your Glass Dab Rig
- Start by focusing on your rig’s nail (otherwise known as a banger). Take your torch lighter and burn off the excess oil in the banger. As it turns red hot, you’ll notice that once it cools, the black residue is no longer there. Continue to do this (carefully) until it is clean.
- Once your nail has cooled back down, separate it from the dab rig and place it in one of your ziplock baggies. Then, pour enough isopropyl alcohol over the nail to soak it and add a tablespoon of coarse sea salt.
- Shake the baggie around for a minute and then leave the banger to soak.
- Empty all water from your rig and pour ¼ – ½ of salt into the bottom of your rig depending on its size. Then, pour the same amount of alcohol into the base of the rig.
- Take your carb cap or even wine corks to plug the openings of your rig. Ideally, wine corks work best because you can plug them out without any worry! Once the holes have been covered, begin to shake your rig vigorously, ensuring the salt/alcohol mixture is thoroughly coating and working its way through your rig.
- If there are any tight corners that your salt didn’t reach, try using one of your Q-Tips to clean it.
- Once the piece looks clean, rinse your rig thoroughly with warm water for about three minutes. This ensures all the alcohol has washed away. Do this same process for your banger, just for about half the time.
And you’re done! After this, you’re able to put your rig back together, add some water, and start dabbing again. (Though, maybe wait a minute and enjoy the beauty of a pristine glass rig.)
Cleaning an Electric Dab Rig
If you’re someone with an electric dab rig, you know quite well that that sort of cleaning process isn’t going to work for a rig like yours. Thankfully, if you have an e-rig like a PuffCo, you can still easily clean each piece to ensure a pure, uninterrupted dab.
To clean your electronic dab rig, all you’re going to need are the following materials:
- Isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol
- Ziplock baggies or Tupperware
Instructions on Cleaning Your E-Rig
Before cleaning your e-rig, check your specific brand’s cleaning recommendations. Some brands offer different solutions for their materials.
- Separate the atomizer bowl and carb cap from the rest of your rig.
- If these pieces aren’t too dirty, you can soak a Q-Tip with rubbing alcohol and clean the pieces this way. If they are coated in wax residue, you can place them in a Tupperware container and soak them with rubbing alcohol.
- If you have a PuffCo, you can separate the glass top from the rig and also soak this in rubbing alcohol.
- Take another Q-Tip soaked in alcohol and go around the rest of your rig, cleaning the parts and pieces that you can. Be careful not to get any of the electronic components soaked in liquid.
- Once your atomizer and carb cap are clean (and your glass top for PuffCo consumers), take them out of the rubbing alcohol. Rinse the pieces with warm water to remove any leftover alcohol.
- Dry each piece thoroughly and carefully.
Dab Rig Cleaning Tips and Tricks
Before we let you go to try these steps out for yourself, we want to provide you with a few dab rig cleaning tips and tricks. This way, not only do you know how to clean a dab rig, but you’ll be a master at it soon enough.
Tip #1: Don’t put it off! The more frequently you clean your rig, the less rigorous the cleaning has to be. We’re not saying to clean your rig every day or even every week, but try to do a deep clean every two weeks and see how well this keeps your piece looking pristine.
Tip #2: Use new water every sesh. You do not want to be using the same contaminated water every time you take a dab. After your dab sessions, dump out the water in your rig and replace it with clean water. Not only will this help keep your rig clean, but your dabs will taste even better.
Tip #3: Avoid boiling water! While super hot water may be great for killing bacteria, it’s also great for shattering the glass of your rig. Your rig may react poorly to adverse temperatures — high heat or freezing cold — and you don’t want to risk breaking your piece while cleaning. Stick to using just warm water, instead.
Tip #4: Always separate your rig’s pieces. When you’re cleaning your dab rig, always make sure the pieces are separate. This helps to ensure that they’re getting cleaned thoroughly. (Also, keeping a nail on a rig during cleaning is just begging for something to break.)
Enjoy Clean, Pure Puffs With Elevate Holistics
See, we told you it wouldn’t be too hard! Learning how to clean your dab rig is a lot less intimidating than your dab rig itself — we promise. And, with a bit of experience under your belt, you won’t have any issue getting your rig sparkling clean.
For more tips and tricks about smoking, medical marijuana cards, or even state laws surrounding cannabis, Elevate Holistics has the resources for you. Click the links down below for even more canna-information.
Do you have questions about medical marijuana in your state? Click here to learn everything you need to know.
Find out about the latest cannabis news and education in Elevate Holistic’s blog.
Ready to get a medical marijuana card for yourself? Book an appointment today — 100% online, 100% hassle-free.