Frequently Asked Questions

  • Is medical marijuana legal in Hawaii?

    Yes, medical marijuana is legal for qualifying patients in Hawaii.

  • What kind of providers are eligible to certify me?

    Doctors who are eligible to evaluate and then certify you for your medical marijuana card have to be one of the following providers:


    • A licensed MD (Medical Doctor) or DO (Doctor of Osteopathy) that
      • Holds a valid license and the authority to prescribe medications
      • Is registered with the Department of Public Safety to prescribe controlled substances 
    • A licensed Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) who 
      • Has prescriptive authority 
      • Is registered with the Department of Public Safety to prescribe controlled substances 

  • Can the Office of Medical Cannabis Patient Registry refer me to a doctor?

    No, the Office is not a referral source.

  • How do I register to be a medical patient in Hawaii?

    To register as a medical marijuana patient in Hawaii, you must start by visiting a qualified physician as listed above. Then, your doctor will either confirm or deny that your medical conditions are substantial enough for cannabis. 


    From there, you will need to submit an online application to apply for the actual card. You can do so through Hawaii’s Medical Cannabis Registry Program. Keep an eye on the status of your application after submission: this will let you know whether or not your status has been approved. 


    Once your application has been approved, you will gain access to your medical card. You can either use it digitally by saving it to your phone or hold onto a physical copy and print it out at home.

  • What are qualifying medical conditions?

    The qualifying medical conditions for Hawaii’s medical marijuana program are limited to:


    • Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
    • Cancer
    • Glaucoma
    • Lupus 
    • Epilepsy 
    • Multiple Sclerosis 
    • Rheumatoid Arthritis 
    • Positive status for human immunodeficiency virus
    • Acquired immune deficiency syndrome
    • Post-traumatic stress disorder 
    • The treatment of these conditions, or A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces one or more of the following:
    • Cachexia or wasting syndrome
    • Severe pain
    • Severe nausea
    • Seizures, including those characteristics of epilepsy
    • Severe and persistent muscle spasms, including those characteristics of multiple sclerosis or Crohn’s disease

  • What if my condition is not listed?

    If your medical condition is not currently listed, you can petition to have it added to the registry. To be added, these conditions must be approved by the Department first.

  • Will my insurance cover my cannabis costs?

    This will depend on your provider. Legally, insurance companies are not legally liable to cover these costs.

  • Where can I consume medical cannabis?

    You can consume your medical marijuana in private spaces, such as your home, only. You cannot consume medical cannabis in any public spaces like a bus, a school bus or any moving vehicle; in the workplace; on any school grounds or any public or private school, dormitory, college, or university property; in any public place. You also cannot consume cannabis in the presence of anyone under 18.

  • How much cannabis can I possess in Hawaii?

    Medical patients can possess up to four ounces of cannabis at once in Hawaii.

  • Can an employer, landlord, or school refuse to hire/approve/enroll someone solely on the basis that they are registered through the medical marijuana program?

    No, employers, landlords, or school officials cannot reject you solely on the basis that you are registered through the program. However, an employer may punish/fire you due to cannabis consumption/intoxication during work or on workplace grounds.