Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I qualify as a patient for the program?

    To be eligible for a low-THC prescription, you must:
    be a permanent Texas resident,
    be diagnosed with epilepsy, a seizure disorder, multiple sclerosis (MS), spasticity, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), autism, terminal cancer, or an incurable neurodegenerative disease, and,
    have a qualified physician determine that the potential benefit of low-THC cannabis is greater than the risk.

  • What is low-THC cannabis?

    As defined by Texas law, it is the plant Cannabis sativa L.—any part of or product made from it—that is, by weight, not more than .5% THC.

  • What medical conditions are covered under the CUP?

    A seizure disorder
    Multiple sclerosis
    Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
    Terminal cancer
    An incurable neurodegenerative disease

    See this Texas Admin. Code for a full list of incurable neurodegenerative diseases.

  • Do I have to register with the state or pay a fee?

    No, patients do not have to register or pay a fee. Patient information will be retained in the Compassionate Use Registry, which will be entered by a qualified physician.

  • What are the qualifications for a physician to prescribe low-THC?

    Proof of one or more board certifications in a medical specialty relevant to the treatment of each patient’s particular medical condition by a specialty board approved by the American Board of Medical Specialties or the Bureau of Osteopathic Specialists.

  • Are there any age restrictions for low-THC cannabis prescriptions?

    No. Patients under 18 may require a legal guardian.

  • Will a patient’s legal guardian be able to pick up their cannabis from a dispensary?

    Yes. Physicians will be required to document the names and last 5 of SSN of legal guardians in the Compassionate Use Registry.
    Patients or legal guardians will be required to show proof of identification to the dispensing organization.

  • Will patients be able to grow their own cannabis?

    No. Only licensed dispensers will be able to grow cannabis and only for use in the production of low-THC cannabis.
    Patients are required to purchase low-THC cannabis products from a licensed dispensing organization.

  • Can I smoke low-THC cannabis?

    No, the program specifically excludes it from medical use.

  • How do I get a prescription?

    The registered physician will enter a prescription in the Compassionate Use Registry of Texas (CURT) system.
    The patient or legal guardian will then have the ability to go to any of the dispensaries to have the prescription filled.
    The patient or legal guardian will need to provide identification and the patient’s last name, date of birth, and the last 5 digits of their social security number.

  • What are the current dispensing organizations?

    As of December 15, 2017, the department has issued three dispensing organization licenses:
    Fluent (formerly Cansortium Texas):
    Adam Sharon – Communications Director
    Compassionate Cultivation:
    Morris Denton
    Marcus Ruark

  • How will dispensing organizations ensure statewide access for patients?

  • How will dispensing organizations ensure statewide access for patients?

    The dispensing organizations’ employees will be delivering prescriptions, as well as potentially filling prescriptions over the counter.
    You may wish to contact the licensed dispensing organizations to determine their specific delivery approach.

  • Can I bring my child from out-of-state to acquire low-THC cannabis in Texas?

    Patients must be permanent Texas residents.

  • Can you have a prescription from another state filled in Texas?

    No. Texas law only authorizes the possession of low-THC cannabis that is obtained through a prescription issued by a physician registered with the CUP program and the dispensing of a prescription for a person listed as a patient in the Compassionate Use Registry.