Illinois Marijuana Frequently Asked Questions


Illinois Marijuana FAQ


  • What are the qualifying conditions for medical marijuana in Illinois?

    Illinois marijuana is regulated by the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Program Act. Under the terms of the act, only patients diagnosed with a debilitating medical condition are qualified to obtain an Illinois medical marijuana card. These conditions include:

    • Terminal illness with a diagnosis of 6 months
    • Immunodeficiency virus
    • Acquired immune deficiency syndrome
    • Hepatitis c
    • Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
    • Crohn’s disease (including, but not limited to, ulcerative colitis)
    • Agitation of Alzheimer’s disease
    • Cachexia/wasting syndrome
    • Muscular dystrophy
    • Severe fibromyalgia
    • Spinal cord disease, including but not limited to arachnoiditis
    • Tarlov cysts
    • Hydromyelia
    • Syringomyelia
    • Rheumatoid arthritis
    • Fibrous dysplasia
    • Spinal cord injury
    • Traumatic brain injury and post-concussion syndrome
    • Multiple sclerosis
    • Arnold-Chiari malformation and syringomyelia
    • Spinocerebellar ataxia (sca)
    • Parkinson’s
    • Tourette’s
    • Myoclonus
    • Dystonia
    • RSD (complex regional pain syndromes type i)
    • Causalgia
    • CRPS (complex regional pain syndromes type ii)
    • Neurofibromatosis
    • Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy
    • Sjogren’s syndrome
    • Lupus
    • Interstitial cystitis
    • Myasthenia gravis
    • Hydrocephalus
    • Nail-patella syndrome
    • Residual limb pain
    • Seizures (including those characteristics of epilepsy)
    • Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
    • Autism
    • Chronic pain
    • Irritable bowel syndrome
    • Migraines
    • Osteoarthritis
    • Anorexia nervosa
    • Ehlers-danlos syndrome
    • Neuro-Behcet’s autoimmune disease
    • Neuropathy
    • Polycystic kidney disease
    • Superior canal dehiscence syndrome

  • Can you get a medical card at 18?

    Minors can’t get an Illinois medical marijuana card by themselves. A health care professional certification and a reviewing health care professional certification are required.

    According to info on the Illinois website, a designated caregiver shall be specified for a minor qualifying patient.

    A qualifying patient under 18 years of age may identify up to three designated caregivers; at least one caregiver must be the biological parent or legal guardian.

    Minors do not need to submit a photo, and families can choose from a one-year, two-year card, or three-year Medical Cannabis Registry Card.

  • Can any Illinois doctor prescribe medical marijuana?

    Only doctors who meet the following requirements can prescribe medical marijuana:

    • Doctor of medicine or osteopathy licensed under the Medical Practice Act of 1987
    • Have a controlled substances license under Article III of the Illinois Controlled Substances Act
    • Be in good standing to practice medicine in Illinois
    • Have a bona fide physician-patient relationship with the patient they are certifying for medical cannabis.

  • What is the OAPP?

    This is the Opioid Alternative Pilot Program which was signed into law on August 28, 2018. The OAPP modified the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act by allowing access to medical cannabis for individuals who have or could receive a prescription for opioids as certified by a physician licensed in Illinois. It offers qualifying patients an alternative to highly addictive opioids.

    Qualifying patients for OAPP must be a resident of Illinois and at least 21 years old. The patient must get a certification from a licensed physician stating that they have a medical condition for which opioid has been or could be prescribed.

    Physician certifications are valid for 90 days but can be renewed, and each 90-day registration period requires a $10 fee. Also, patients registered in the OAPP program can purchase 2.5 ounces of medical cannabis every 14 days.

  • How much are the application fees?

    There are three Illinois medical marijuana application fee options for you as a qualifying patient. If you are a veteran or receive Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you’re eligible to receive a 50% discount on the application fee.

    The original fees are $50 for one year, $100 for two years, and $150 for three years, while the discounted fees are $25 for one year, $50 for two years, and $75 for three years.

    For caregivers, application fees are lower – $25 for one year, $50 for two years, and $75 for three years.

    Note that the application fees are non-refundable and can be paid online by credit or debit card.

  • Does insurance cover medical marijuana?

    No, insurance providers currently don’t offer Illinois medical marijuana patients’ coverage.

  • Can I grow marijuana in Illinois?

    Only patients who are 21 years or older and hold a valid Illinois medical marijuana card can grow marijuana at home. You can grow up to 5 cannabis plants in your home. They must be in a locked room, with no access to anyone under 21 and not visible to the public.

    If you don’t legally own the property you live in, you will have to obtain permission from the owner before you can start growing cannabis. Also, you can’t grow cannabis in federally-subsidized houses.

  • How many plants can a caregiver grow in Illinois?

    Only qualified patients are permitted to grow marijuana at home in Illinois.

  • How much marijuana can I buy in Illinois?

    Qualifying patients who possess an Illinois medical marijuana card can buy up to 2.5 ounces, or 71 grams, of cannabis within a 14-day period. If your medical condition requires more, you can obtain a waiver through the state.

    You can only buy medical marijuana from a licensed medical cannabis dispensary.

  • Is marijuana legal in Illinois for recreational use?

    Under the  Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act signed into law in June 2019 and enacted in January 2020, marijuana is legal for recreational use. The law allows Illinois residents age 21 and over to purchase up to one ounce of marijuana flower and up to five grams of marijuana concentrate (such as hashish or tincture). Illinois visitors can possess half those amounts.

  • Does Illinois accept out-of-state medical cards?

    No, Illinois does not have reciprocity laws and does not accept MMJ cards from out of state.

Find out if you qualify for a medical card

Approval in 30-minutes or less!

Find Out Today