Frequently Asked Questions

  • Is cannabis legal in Washington state?

    Yes, cannabis is legal in Washington state, both medicinally and recreationally. 

  • How do I become a medical marijuana patient?

    To become a medical marijuana patient in Washington, you must meet with a licensed physician who can certify that you have at least one of the state’s qualifying medical conditions.

  • What are the qualifying medical conditions?

    The qualifying conditions for a medical marijuana card in Washington are:

    • Cancer, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), multiple sclerosis, epilepsy or other seizure disorder, or spasticity disorders
    • Intractable pain, limited for the purpose of this chapter to mean pain unrelieved by standard medical treatments and medications
    • Glaucoma, either acute or chronic, limited for the purpose of this chapter to mean increased intraocular pressure unrelieved by standard treatments and medications
    • Crohn’s disease with debilitating symptoms unrelieved by standard treatments or medications
    • Hepatitis C with debilitating nausea or intractable pain unrelieved by standard treatments or medications
    • Diseases, including anorexia, which result in nausea, vomiting, wasting, appetite loss, cramping, seizures, muscle spasms, or spasticity, when these symptoms are unrelieved by standard treatments or medications
    • Chronic renal failure requiring hemodialysis
    • Posttraumatic stress disorder
    • Traumatic brain injury

  • How much does it cost to become a medical patient in Washington?

    The application for the certificate itself costs $95. 

  • Where do I get a medical marijuana authorization form? How long is it valid for?

    An approved physician will provide you with the proper authorization form after an evaluation. This form demonstrates that you do have a qualifying medical condition and will benefit from cannabis. 

    How long your form is valid is going to depend on both your age and treatment plan. For most minors, this authorization form will be valid for up to six months, while many adults’ forms are good for up to a year.

  • How do I obtain my medical marijuana card?

    As soon as you’ve met with a qualified professional who has given you the authorization form, you need to contact a medically-endorsed store. Here, you will schedule an appointment with a Certified Consultant who will:


    • Review the authorization for completeness and accuracy
    • Compare the information to your state identification
    • Take a photo of your face and designated provider (if any)
    • Enter your patient information and upload the photo into the medical marijuana authorization database
    • Generate, print, and laminate the medical marijuana card
    • Return the authorization, identification, and medical marijuana card to you

  • How do I renew my card?

    Before your current medical card expires, you will need to receive another authorization form from a licensed medical practitioner. Then, you will schedule an appointment at a medically-endorsed store just as you did when you first got your card. 

  • Are there programs available for those who cannot afford medical marijuana?

    Yes, though it depends on the cannabis shop itself. Medically-endorsed storefronts can provide cannabis at a reduced charge or no charge depending on the specific programs they have in place. Always contact the shop first and see how they can help.

  • Where do I purchase medical cannabis?

    Medical patients can purchase cannabis at any state-licensed retailer found across the state. 

  • Where can I consume medical cannabis?

    In Washington state, you cannot consume cannabis in any public space or within public view. All consumption must occur in your own private residence or space. Consumption within vehicles is also prohibited.