With mixed cannabis legalization in Iowa, the Hawkeye state’s cannabis laws are currently some of the most limiting and confusing in the country. If you are an Iowa resident looking to utilize the healing properties of cannabis, what should you do? Since cannabis in Iowa is not yet decriminalized, CBD might be the next best step toward better wellness in this midwest state.
Elevate Holistics is here to dive into the state’s CBD complexities and teach you how to get your hands on CBD in Iowa. Iowa may be a bit behind the times, but we’re here to help you get ahead.
What is CBD?
First of all, what is CBD? CBD, or cannabidiol, is one of over 100 cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant. It is one of marijuana’s non-psychoactive compounds, meaning that, unlike THC, CBD won’t get you high.
Cannabidiol is known for its therapeutic benefits, like pain and inflammation reduction, anxiety and depression relief, and sleep aid, among many other perks.
CBD and other cannabis compounds embody extremely diverse and effective healing properties.
So, who should consider CBD? CBD could be a beneficial option for:
- First-time consumers who just want to dip their toes into the cannabis
- Those who desire the healing benefits of cannabis without the high
- Patients who want to try holistic healing rather than chemical-based pharmaceuticals
- Patients with any physical or mental ailment that other treatments are failing to improve
Is CBD Legal in Iowa?
Yes, but it’s a little more complicated than that. CBD has become increasingly popular in recent years, and Iowa is no exception. The Medical Cannabidiol Act, signed into law in 2014 and expanded in subsequent years, allows the use of CBD oil with less than 3% THC for specific medical conditions. In 2020, the law was further expanded to include additional medical conditions and removed the 3% THC cap on products, with a total allowable purchase amount capped at 4.5 grams of THC every 90 days. CBD products must be derived from hemp with less than 0.3% THC, which means that you can get the benefits of CBD without worrying about feeling high or breaking any state laws.
How to Get CBD in Iowa
Medical cannabis in Iowa has mixed legality and unique guidelines limiting THC amounts and what form you can purchase CBD in.
Since CBD oil in Iowa is legal, who can purchase it? Iowa’s Medical Cannabidiol Program allows residents to apply for a “medical cannabidiol registration card.”
The program states that permanent residents at least 18 years of age might qualify for medical Iowa cannabidiol if their doctor certifies they have a “Qualifying Debilitating Medical Condition.”
What Medical Conditions Qualify for CBD Oil Use in Iowa?
Iowa’s qualifying medical conditions are pretty strict, sometimes even adding conditions to the qualifying conditions.
The Iowa Medical Cannabidiol Program lists the following as its Qualifying Medical Conditions:
Iowans will also find CBD products in local vape shops, hemp stores, and other wellness shops. Most importantly, regardless of where you get your cannabidiol Iowa:
- Make sure that the CBD product has been third-party tested to ensure it’s the real deal. Third-party testing confirms that the product contains what it says it does and that it doesn’t contain any contaminants.
- Look for full or broad-spectrum CBD. Full-spectrum CBD means that it contains all of the cannabis plant’s wonderful compounds, like cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids. These compounds synergistically work together to promote more extensive healing, known as the entourage effect. Full-spectrum CBD will contain a small amount of THC (0.3% or less), but it won’t get you high. Broad-spectrum CBD contains all cannabis compounds besides THC.
- If you’re a first-time THC consumer, consume cannabis products that contain a higher level of THC with caution. Products with higher levels of THC can provide added therapeutic benefits but might at first induce a bit of anxiety for those who are anxiety-prone.
Can I Buy CBD Online in Iowa?
Yes, an Iowa resident can legally buy CBD online. Keep in mind that it’s important to purchase your CBD from trusted vendors and manufacturers who meet quality standards and provide third-party lab testing results. Purchasing from reputable companies will ensure you get high-quality products that are safe to consume. It’s also wise to research each company you buy from to make sure they’re reputable and have positive customer reviews and feedback about their CBD products.
Iowa Cannabidiol Dispensary
What’s a good Iowa cannabidiol dispensary? The safest Iowa cannabidiol dispensary is partnered with the Iowa Medical Cannabidiol Program and has five locations across the state.
MedPharm Iowa, recently rebranded as Bud & Mary’s, offers Aliviar brand tinctures, creams, capsules, and vapes.
These cannabis products are available at dispensaries in Sioux City, Waterloo, Council Bluffs, Windsor Heights, and Iowa City. When getting your cannabis products from Bud & Mary’s, you know that your products have been thoroughly third-party tested and contain the healing benefits they claim to boast.
Over-the-counter CBD products outside of Iowa’s five licensed dispensaries have not been FDA-approved.
Another option is to find a credible online CBD retailer. Hemp-derived CBD containing 0.3% THC or less is legal to ship in all 50 states.
Hemp, versus the cannabis Sativa plant, naturally contains lower levels of THC and higher levels of CBD and is federally legal.
Get Your Medical Card With Elevate Holistics
So is CBD legal in Iowa? Yes, but patients must obtain an Iowa medical cannabis card. Luckily, there’s no need to look any further – Elevate Holistics is ready to help you every step of the way to getting your Iowa CBD card.
Are you ready to start feeling better naturally? Elevate Holistics offers a hassle-free, safe way to get your medical cannabis card. Through our fully online process, you can even book a same-day virtual doctor’s appointment for med card approval.