You’ve heard of pinene, limonene, and caryophyllene — but what about the Geraniol terpene?
Geraniol may be a bit lesser known compared to other terpenes in the market, but that doesn’t mean that it won’t pack a punch.
So, what’s the Geraniol terpene all about? How does it smell and taste, and what are its effects like? And, most importantly, which cannabis strains have high amounts of Geraniol?
Let’s find out.
Wait, What is the Geraniol Terpene?
Geraniol is one of the countless terpenes found on Mother Earth. This compound is responsible for the strong odors and distinct flavors in substances like plants, herbs, fruits, and vegetables.
In general, terpenes are often strong-smelling and have been used by plants to deter herbivores or to attract pollinators and seed dispersers. They work to protect the plant and ensure it stays happy and healthy, essentially.
And terpenes work the same way within cannabis!
Your cannabis bud is full of various terpenes that are unique to the strain itself. There are countless terpenes in the plant, and each one adds novel flavors, tastes, and effects to your flower.
So, paying attention to the types of terpenes in your cannabis can help you decide which strain is going to be best for your mind and body.
Where Do You Find Geraniol?
Now that you know what Geraniol is, let’s talk about where you’ll find it.
Typically, the Geraniol terpene is present within in a wide range of plants, including geraniums (hence the name), roses, and citronella.
It’s also present in small quantities in tobacco, lemongrass, and, you guessed it, cannabis.
As a compound found in flowers, you’ll likely pick up sweet, floral notes from the Geraniol terpene. It’s quite reminiscent of roses, which makes it a wonderful addition to many fragrances or essential oils.
In general, the taste of this compound is quite subtle and refined, not overpowering like other terpenes you’ll find.
Most people would describe Geraniol as having a delicate profile — as delicate as a rose!
Effects of the Geraniol Terpene
When you consume cannabis strains that have the Geraniol terpene, you’re going to experience a wide range of unique effects.
Of course, these results are going to vary from person to person, but studies have shown that Geraniol can bring the following benefits:
- Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Geraniol may help reduce oxidative stress and inflammation, potentially benefiting conditions related to these processes.
- Neuroprotective Effects: Some studies suggest Geraniol could have neuroprotective properties, though more information is needed here.
- Anticancer Properties: Preliminary research has indicated that Geraniol might have anti-cancer properties, particularly in inhibiting the growth of certain types of cancer cells.
- Mood and Stress Relief: Anecdotally, the aroma of Geraniol (and other floral terpenes) is often associated with mood enhancement and stress relief. While this is subjective and varies from person to person, the pleasant scent of geraniol may contribute to the overall relaxing and uplifting experience for some cannabis users.
As we continue to learn more about this terpene, we will better understand its capabilities and how it works within the body. And, don’t worry, we’ll update you each time we know more!
If you’re interested in trying the Geraniol terpene for yourself, we certainly don’t blame you. After all, who wouldn’t want to try this relaxing floral compound?
While Geraniol isn’t present in high amounts in cannabis, here are some strains that have more prominent Geraniol profiles than others:
- Sweet Island Skunk: This strain is appreciated for its energetic and uplifting effects, and it’s often noted for its sweet, skunky, and floral scent — indicative of the presence of Geraniol.
- Amnesia Haze: Known for its uplifting and energizing effects, this sativa-dominant strain often contains Geraniol, contributing to its sweet and floral aroma.
- Strawberry Diesel: Combining sweet, berry-like aromas with diesel notes, the Strawberry Diesel strain often features the floral undertones of Geraniol.
- Harlequin: A CBD-dominant strain, Harlequin is well-known for its complex aroma of sweet florals — and you can thank Geraniol for that.
Enjoy Geraniol and Other Cannabis Terpenes With an MMJ Card
Now you know what the Geraniol terpene has to offer, where it’s found, and which strains have a high amount of it. So, are you ready to try it out for yourself?
If you want to gain access to the best cannabis strains with this terpene — at the lowest prices possible — it’s time to get an MMJ card.
Having a medical card will grant you medical-only discounts and deals in states that have legalized the plant. Plus, you get priority service and access specials like cannabis delivery.
With Elevate Holistics, you can get your MMJ card 100% online in minutes. Our doctors will meet with you over the phone or computer to see whether or not you qualify for marijuana in your state. And if you don’t, you won’t have to pay a thing.
Experience the Geraniol terpene for yourself and get an MMJ card with Elevate Holistics today! Click the button below to get started.
Learn about more terpenes here: