We all know that weed smells good. But, what is it that causes those distinct flavors and aromas? Terpenes just like Humulene.
The Humulene terpene may not be the most well-known compound in the world of cannabis, but it may be more prominent than you think.
Today, we’re taking a close look at the Humulene terpene, where it’s found, and what kind of smells and tastes you can expect from strains with high levels of the terp.
What is the Humulene Terpene & Where Do You Find It?
Before we talk about strains rich in Humulene, let’s talk about the terpene as a whole — and where you’re going to find it out in nature.
Humulene is one of many terpenes found within the cannabis plant. It’s a component that gives plants their unique scents and flavors and may also have various biological effects.
Alongside cannabis, you can find high levels of Humulene in hops, sage, ginseng, black pepper, and cloves.
Humulene Scent Profile
With origins in plants like hops and herbs like sage, it’s no wonder that the Humulene terpene offers distinct earthy scents.
In fact, you may take a whiff of a Humelene-dominant strain and find it smells vaguely like your favorite IPA! That’s because of the hops profile in both — thanks to Humulene.
Along with being earthy and hoppy, you’ll likely pick up on some spicy notes in strains that have Humulene.
This complex profile makes the Humulene terpene well sought after by cannabis consumers seeking something new and unique.
If you’re tired of the typical citrus, skunky flavors in your weed, seeking Humulene-rich strains is a great option.
Effects of the Humulene Terpene in Cannabis
The Humulene terpene in cannabis, like other terpenes, contributes to the plant’s aroma, flavor, and potentially its effects on the body.
While research is still ongoing and the understanding of these components is evolving, the Humulene terpene appears to have several potential effects.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Humulene is often cited for its anti-inflammatory properties. This could make it beneficial for conditions associated with inflammation, such as arthritis or inflammatory bowel disease.
- Appetite Suppressant: Unlike some other cannabis compounds, Humulene may act as an appetite suppressant. This is in contrast to the more well-known effect of cannabis to cause the munchies.
- Potential Anti-Cancer Properties: Preliminary studies suggest that Humulene may have anti-cancer properties. It’s thought to help in inducing cell death in cancer cells and reducing tumor growth.
- Antibacterial: Some research indicates that humulene has antibacterial properties, which could make it useful in fighting certain bacterial infections.
In general, more studies are needed to draw concrete conclusions about Humulene’s effects within cannabis. But, for now, this terpene’s got potential.
We’ve talked about what the Humulene terpene is, what it smells like, and now how it could make you feel.
So, what kind of strains are rich in Humulene?
There are various strains that have high levels of Humulene that are great options for closely understanding this terpene’s effects and smells. But, here are four of the most popular — and the most Humulune-rich — strains:
- Sour Diesel: This popular strain is known for its pungent, diesel-like aroma and is often chosen for its energizing and uplifting effects.
- Headband: Known for its creamy and lemony characteristics, Headband is a mix of earthy and citrus notes. It’s often used for its relaxing and pain-relieving properties.
- Bubba Kush: A heavy indica with a sweet, earthy profile. Bubba Kush is often chosen for its strong sedative effects and is popular for nighttime consumption.
- Girl Scout Cookies: A well-known strain that is praised for its sweet and earthy flavors. It’s often chosen for its potent effects that can offer relaxation and euphoria
Get the Best Humulene Strains With an MMJ Card
Ready to experience the best Humulene strains possible? The best way to do that is with an MMJ card.
Having a medical marijuana card grants you access to high-quality weed at the lowest possible prices. If you live in a place that has legalized both medical and recreational cannabis, MMJ cards grant you medical-only discounts and significantly lower taxes.
Get your MMJ card online in minutes with Elevate Holistics: our process is 100% online and is one of the most affordable in the industry.
Click the button below to schedule an appointment today!
Other Terpene Spotlights: